Some people prefer their meatloaf with gravy, and if you’re one of them, then this meatloaf and gravy recipe is for you. I like to think of gravy for meatloaf like hot fudge is for ice cream – it just makes something that’s already good into an amazing experience. Plus, the gravy is great for smothering your sides like mashed potatoes, tying your whole plate together for a comforting meal.
Best Meatloaf Recipe and Gravy
Whether you’re having extended family over or you just want to smother yours with some home-cooked food love, this is the best meatloaf and gravy recipe you’ll find. It’s simple and delicious, one that my whole family requests regularly.
Meatloaf and Gravy Ingredients
- Ground beef – Choose a 90% lean/10% fat ratio.
- Ground pork – This gravy-smothered meatloaf needs a meat blend to make it stand out.
- Onion – Dice it so it will incorporate into your meatloaf.
- Garlic – Minced, and like the onion, will get all mixed into every part of the meatloaf.
- Tomato paste – Instead of ketchup for flavor and binding, we’re doing tomato paste so it flows better with that gravy.
- Eggs – Grab 2 of the large ones to help bind your meatloaf.
- Worcestershire sauce – A key accent in your meatloaf recipe.
- Italian breadcrumbs – These work the best and have the seasoning you need. Can’t find Italian flavor? Get the plain and add Italian seasoning and garlic powder to it.
- Parmesan cheese – A classic ingredient for meatloaf that brings out more rich flavor in this meatloaf meal.
- Chicken broth – Helps add more juiciness to your meatloaf.
- Seasonings – You’ll need to use thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Fresh parsley – Chop it up for a fresh garnish.
- Brown gravy – You’ll make this from scratch using beef stock, beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and cornstarch whisked into water.
Easy Meatloaf Recipe and Gravy
This meatloaf takes about 20 minutes to prepare. You’ve got to get the onions and seasonings all flavored up on the stove before incorporating it with the meat blend. And then you’ve got to allow time for that gravy too, which you can do when the meatloaf is in the oven. All told, you’ll spend an hour and 15 minutes from start to finish, which is doable on a worknight if you time yourself right.
How do you Make Meatloaf and Gravy from Scratch?
When making this recipe for meatloaf and gravy, you start by preheating your oven to 360F and get your meatloaf pan ready for the meatloaf. Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet on your stove. Add the onions, salt, and pepper and let that lightly caramelize. Once that happens, add the garlic, tomato paste, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix it all together then add the chicken broth. Let this reduce, then set it aside to cool. Meanwhile mix the ground beef and pork with the eggs and breadcrumbs. Add the cooled onion mixture next. Shape your meatloaf and bake for about 50 minutes. Let it rest for 5 to 8 minutes and make the gravy while you do. Then serve it all together.
How to Cook Homemade Meatloaf and Gravy
You’re going to get the flavors and seasonings together on the stovetop, combine it all together, and then shape it into your meatloaf to bake in the oven.
What kind of meat is best for meatloaf?
Beef is often the best meat choice, though for this recipe, it uses ground beef and ground pork which gives it a fattier composition to make it more moist and tender.
What is the best filler for meatloaf and gravy?
When doing a meatloaf and gravy style, I recommend using Italian breadcrumbs, parmesan, tomato paste, and eggs. This gives it that right amount of flavor that works with the gravy while keeping it in that loaf shape.
What do you put in meatloaf to keep it from falling apart?
For meatloaf and gravy, you want to put Italian breadcrumbs, parmesan, and eggs. This holds it together.
What can I add to meatloaf to make it moist?
With this recipe, you’ve got sauteed aromatics and tomato paste that help bring moisture along with flavor. You should have a nice, juicy interior.
Can you put brown gravy mix in the meatloaf?
While you can certainly make a brown gravy mix to serve with your meatloaf rather than making it from scratch, you shouldn’t just put the mix into the meatloaf itself. It will come out mushy.
How do you make a juicy meatloaf?
With this meatloaf recipe, you’ll be adding tomato paste, chicken broth, onions, garlic, and seasonings in a skillet that you’ll add to your meat mixture. This will make it juicy, plus since this recipe uses beef and pork, you’ll have a perfect texture.
Do you bake meatloaf covered or uncovered?
When baking your meatloaf for the first time, keep it uncovered. If you’re warming up leftovers, cover it so it doesn’t dry out.
How Long do you bake meatloaf and gravy?
At a temperature of 350F, you’ll be baking the meatloaf for this meatloaf and gravy recipe for about 50 minutes, or until the internal meatloaf temp reaches 160F. To make sure it is cooked through, use a meat thermometer to confirm the meatloaf internal temp registers 160F.
What is meatloaf gravy made of?
Meatloaf gravy is made with beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, beef bouillon, garlic powder, heavy cream, water, cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
How do you make gravy for meatloaf?
As the kind of guy that would drink gravy straight from the gravy boat if my wife would let me (spoiler alert: she won’t), I have to say that making gravy is a breeze for this meatloaf. You’ll put everything except the cornstarch mixture into your saucepan until it boils. Then you’ll whisk that cornstarch mixture in to keep it from getting lumpy, and bring to a boil again as it thickens. After 3 minutes, you’ll add that heavy cream and then serve it with your meatloaf.
What kind of gravy is best on meatloaf?
Because it is beefy, that brown gravy is the best kind to put on your meatloaf. You can follow this recipe to make it from scratch, or if you’d rather, get an instant packet to save time.
What can I put on top of my meatloaf instead of gravy?
If you’d prefer a meatloaf glaze, you can make one for this meatloaf instead using ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, and seasonings. Or you can simply pour ketchup or barbecue sauce on top, though the gravy adds a rich and comforting taste.
What goes well with meatloaf?
When you’re having meatloaf and gravy, I urge you to make mashed potatoes to soak up that gravy. It’s a must! You can also serve rice, buttered noodles, roasted broccoli, cheesy cauliflower, parmesan brussels sprouts, or a fresh salad to lighten things up. Dinner rolls are a great idea as well.
How to store leftover meatloaf?
If I don’t make extra of this meatloaf and gravy, I will never have leftovers. But if you do, put them in an airtight container separate from the gravy and stick it in the fridge.
How long does meatloaf with gravy last?
Meatloaf will last 3 days, up to 4 days, in your fridge. Your gravy should be good for that long too. If you can’t get to it sooner, move it to the freezer.
Can you freeze meatloaf?
Meatloaf is great to freeze and can keep up to 3 months. You can also freeze the gravy separately, but it will be different in texture. You may need to add more broth to adjust the consistency.
How to reheat meatloaf?
Put your meatloaf in an oven-safe baking dish and set the oven to 250F. Throw in some broth with it and cover with foil, heating for 25 to 30 minutes. That should get it nice and hot without drying it out. You should heat your gravy on the stovetop if you have any leftover. If not, it’s easy to make a fresh batch of gravy to go with it.
Watch How To Make Meatloaf and Gravy (Video)
Meatloaf Recipe with Gravy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup onion (diced)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 1 lbs ground beef (90% lean 10% fat)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped for garnish)
- 3 cup beef stock
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp beef bouillon
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup water whisked with 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees and line a rimmed sheet pan with foil or grease a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add in the onions with the salt and pepper and cook until lightly caramelized. Once lightly caramelized, add in the garlic, thyme, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Once everything is fully mixed, add in the chicken broth and stir. Allow the mixture to reduce then set aside to cool.
- While the mixture cools, combine the ground pork and beef with the eggs and breadcrumbs, then add in the cooled onion mixture.
- Bake the meatloaf for about 50 minutes or until it registers 160F with a thermometer.
- Allow to rest for 5-8 minutes before serving alongside the brown gravy.
- Add all ingredients except cornstarch mixture to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the cornstarch mixture to prevent any lumps and thicken the gravy.
- Bring to a boil again, then simmer 3 minutes, then add in heavy cream and serve.