People that don’t like meatloaf just never experienced the recipe of a winner. That’s where this classic meatloaf recipe comes in, to win everyone over for dinner. It’s juicy, robust, and will completely change your mind if you’re one of those that has never been fond of meatloaf.
Best Meatloaf Recipe
For traditional meatloaf to be a winner, it has to reign in texture and flavor. When it comes to sifting through the best meatloaf recipes out there, this is the best meatloaf recipe hands down because it’s full of flavor and has a wonderful juicy texture that won’t leave you high and dry.
Easy Meatloaf Recipe
This easy meatloaf recipe can grace your table any night of the week. It only takes 10 minutes to get it together. The rest of the time, it’s baking so you can set a timer and pin down any other things you have to do before serving it. And since it comes out perfect every time, you may even want to consider making this simple meatloaf recipe for company next time!
- Ground beef – You’ll need 2lbs of 80% lean/20% fat ratio.
- Eggs – Two of them will help you bind this meat into your loaf.
- Onion – Use a large white onion and dice it.
- Breadcrumbs – Panko works the best. One of the classic ingredients for meatloaf.
- Milk – Whole milk gives this more richness and a juicy texture.
- Garlic – Mince the garlic cloves to evenly distribute the flavors through the meatloaf.
- Ketchup – An essential flavor enhancer for the best meatloaf.
- Worcestershire sauce – Gives this traditional meatloaf recipe a bounty of beefy flavor.
- Meatloaf seasonings – You’ll need Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Parsley – Fresh parsley is one of the key secret ingredients for your best meatloaf ever.
- Meatloaf glaze – Almost every meatloaf needs a glaze topping and you’ll make yours with ketchup, brown sugar, white vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
How do you Make Meatloaf from Scratch?
When making this recipe for meatloaf, you’ll start by preheating your oven to 375F, greasing your meatloaf pan to get it ready. Add everything for the meatloaf into a large mixing bowl and combine together. Press it all into the pan and get the top even. Bake it uncovered for 40 minutes, during which time you’ll make the glaze. Brush the glaze on the meatloaf and bake for 15 more minutes until it reaches the perfect internal meatloaf temp of around 160° F. Let it rest 5 to 10 minutes, then garnish with parsley, slice, and serve.
How to Cook Homemade Meatloaf
Making meatloaf is as easy as mixing the ingredients together and then baking them in your oven. It takes hardly any time to assemble. The only hard part is resisting the aroma while you wait for it to bake as it reaches the perfect meatloaf internal temp of around 160° F. To perfect the internal temp of meatloaf you can use a meat thermometer to read the exact meatloaf temperature.
What kind of meat is best for meatloaf?
Ideally, you should get ground beef that has a ratio of 80% lean and 20% fat. This will help you craft the perfect meatloaf.
Why do you put milk in meatloaf?
The milk moistens the breadcrumbs and in turn, serves to keep the interior of your meatloaf flavorful and juicy.
How many eggs should I put in a 2 lb. meatloaf?
For a 2-lb. meatloaf, your best egg ratio is 2 eggs. This provides plenty of binding powder for the meat to stay together.
What is the best filler for meatloaf?
Panko breadcrumbs are the best filler. They soak up the milk and eggs and bind everything together. They also add tons of flavor and keep the interior of your meatloaf from going dry.
What do you put in meatloaf to keep it from falling apart?
Eggs and breadcrumbs are the essential ingredients meatloaf needs to keep it together. Without them, it will become crumbly and fall apart.
How do you make a juicy meatloaf?
The wet ingredients you add to meatloaf make it juicy. Using whole milk will add more richness and fat that keeps it from going dry. Along with ketchup and Worcestershire sauce, it gives meatloaf a marvelous texture.
What can I add to meatloaf to make it moist?
Make sure you add milk (preferably whole milk), ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. These ingredients add moisture to the meatloaf.
Do you bake meatloaf covered or uncovered?
Don’t cover your meatloaf when you bake it. You want it to brown on top.
How Long do you bake meatloaf?
Meatloaf cook time will depend on the size of your meatloaf. Generally, it will take about 45 to 50 minutes to bake a meatloaf. For this recipe, baking at 375F for this time should be the perfect amount.
How long should you cook meatloaf at 350?
For a 2-lb. meatloaf, you need to cook it for an hour at 350F or until the center is 160F.
Is it better to cook meatloaf at 350 or 375?
It is best to cook your meatloaf at 375F. For a 2-lb. meatloaf, it will take about 45 minutes total baking time.
Do you cook meatloaf at 350 or 400?
You can cook them at either of those temperatures, however, the sweet spot for meatloaf is at 375F.
What is meatloaf glaze made of?
The best meatloaf glaze is made with ketchup, brown sugar, white vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
How do you make meatloaf glaze?
If you can mix ingredients into a bowl, you can make meatloaf glaze. This recipe calls for ketchup, white vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, white vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste to make the glaze.
What can I put on top of my meatloaf instead of ketchup?
Instead of ketchup, make a glaze. The base of the glaze uses ketchup along with brown sugar, white vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper to give it more flavor.
What goes well with meatloaf?
Mashed potatoes are a classic with meatloaf. You can also serve mac n’ cheese, honey roasted carrots, creamed spinach, dinner rolls, rice, and salad are other great sides.
How to store leftover meatloaf?
Meatloaf is best kept in a shallow, airtight container. You can also wrap it with foil. Then make sure you stick it in the refrigerator.
How long does meatloaf last?
You’ll need to use up any meatloaf leftover in your fridge within 3 to 4 days.
Can you freeze meatloaf?
When I make meatloaf, I make enough of it to freeze for an easy meal another time. You can do this for meal prep or when you want meatloaf without waiting almost an hour for it. Wrap it well and it will keep for 3 months.
How to reheat meatloaf?
Slow and low is the way to go when reheating meatloaf. At 250F in your oven, put your meatloaf in a baking dish and add about a tablespoon of beef broth (or water if you don’t have broth), then cover with foil and heat for 25 to 30 minutes. This will heat it up perfectly without drying it out.
Watch How To Make Meatloaf (Video)
Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef (80% lean 20% fat)
- 1 1/2 large white onion (diced)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 tbsp garlic cloves (minced)
- 5 tbsp ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
Meatloaf Glaze Recipe
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
- 2 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease your meatloaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in all the ingredients for the meatloaf until fully combined. Press the meatloaf mixture into your prepared pan, lightly pressing down to ensure the top is even.
- Bake the meatloaf uncovered for 40 minutes. While the meat loaf bakes, prepare the glaze.
- Next step is to make the meatloaf glaze. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the meatloaf glaze ingredients until fully combined. Brush the glaze over the top of the meatloaf and bake for another 15 minutes or until the center of the loaf has reached an internal temperature of 160 F.
- Allow the meatloaf to rest between 5 and 10 minutes, then garnish with the fresh chopped parsley and slice into 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick slices.