As a guy, I am following my genes to be obsessed with meat. And meatloaf. So when my wife’s sister was visiting, I had to come up with something for her to eat because she has a gluten sensitivity. Lo and behold, I’ve found the answer with a gluten-free meatloaf recipe that had not even so much as a crumb left behind after the meal.
Best Gluten Free Meatloaf Recipe
This is the best gluten free meatloaf recipe for a couple reasons. 1) It has all gluten-free ingredients, 2) it sneaks in more vegetables that no one will notice, and 3) it tastes awesome even though it’s healthy. Even if you’re not gluten-free, if you want to make a healthier, lighter meatloaf that still tastes great, this is the one.
Easy Gluten Free Meatloaf Recipe
This simple gluten free meatloaf takes as much time to prep as any of my other amazing meatloaf recipes – just 10 minutes. The bulk of meatloaf time is when it’s cooking which allows you to do a bunch of other stuff. In my case, that’s fixing the leak under the sink while my wife makes some sides, but yeah, whatever works!
Homemade Gluten Free Meatloaf Ingredients
- Ground turkey – You can absolutely use ground beef if you’d like. Get a 90% lean/10% fat ratio.
- Eggs – These will bind the meatloaf together.
- Gluten free oats – This is what we’ll be using in place of traditional breadcrumbs to keep this meatloaf gluten friendly.
- Carrots and zucchini – Shred both of these separately. They’re going to add moisture and juiciness to this meatloaf.
- Ketchup – Make sure yours is gluten free.
- Worcestershire sauce – Again, choose a gluten free one.
- Garlic – Mince them to distribute through the ground beef or turkey.
- Mustard – This is going to give our GF meatloaf here some tanginess.
- Parsley – Use the fresh stuff for garnish.
- Salt and pepper – Always a good idea in any meatloaf.
How do you Make Gluten Free Meatloaf from Scratch?
You’ll preheat your oven to 350F and either foil up a rimmed sheet pan or grease your loaf pan. Then you’ll add all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl to combine. Press the meatloaf into your pan or make a loaf on the sheet, then brush it on top with extra ketchup if you want. Bake for an hour or until that inside temperature is 160F for ground beef (165F for ground turkey). It needs to rest about 10 minutes before you slice and serve.
How to cook homemade gluten free meatloaf
Homemade gluten free meatloaf is made in your oven, like a regular meatloaf. All you do is mix everything together and then bake it until it reaches the perfect internal meatloaf temp of 160F!
Is meatloaf usually gluten-free?
No, it’s not. That’s because of the breadcrumbs. Also, some ketchup brands may not be gluten-free. In this recipe, gluten-free oats are used.
What is a gluten-free substitute for breadcrumbs in meatloaf?
I use gluten-free oats in this recipe which works great. Combined with the eggs and shredded veggies, it’s a winner for a delicious, gluten-free, and healthy dinner. But there are gluten-free breadcrumbs out there if you’d like to try them. They usually use parmesan in there too so it will have more of an Italian taste.
What can I use to bind gluten-free meatloaf?
Eggs, gluten-free oats, shredded carrots, and shredded zucchini help bind a gluten free meatloaf together. You can also use gluten free breadcrumbs if you’d like.
What do you put in gluten free meatloaf to keep it from falling apart?
Gluten free meatloaf uses gluten free oats to help keep it together. Paired with the eggs, carrots, and zucchini, it has plenty of moisture to create a juicy texture.
What can I add to gluten free meatloaf to make it moist?
In this recipe, shredded carrots and zucchini are added. They create a moist texture with the GF oats. It won’t come out dry or crumbly.
Do you bake gluten free meatloaf covered or uncovered?
Like a regular meatloaf, you will bake a gluten free meatloaf uncovered so the meat browns up nicely.
How long do you bake gluten free meatloaf?
At 350F, you’ll be baking this gluten-free meatloaf for an hour or until the internal meatloaf temperature reaches 160F. A helpful tip would be to use a meat thermometer to confirm it reaches the correct meatloaf internal temp of 160F.
What can I put on top of my gluten free meatloaf instead of ketchup?
You can make a meatloaf glaze recipe to put on top by adding to your gluten free ketchup. You can also use gluten free barbecue sauce if you have it.
What is gluten free meatloaf glaze made of?
In this recipe, you simply use gluten free ketchup on top. You can also use that ketchup to make a glaze that is gluten free with brown sugar, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
How do you make gluten free meatloaf glaze?
You can simply glaze this meatloaf with gluten free ketchup. You can also use gluten free BBQ sauce, or take your ketchup and combine it with brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper which is gluten free too.
What goes well with gluten free meatloaf?
For gluten-free meatloaf, most of the same sides you serve with a regular meatloaf will work. Rice is usually gluten free (though check your brand first), and any vegetable you serve fresh will be too. So, sauteed spinach, asparagus, steamed carrots, salad, roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn, and anything else is a good side – just stay away from adding regular flour to them.
How to store leftover gluten free meatloaf?
You’ll be storing this GF meatloaf like any other, in an airtight container or wrapped well with foil. Then put it in the fridge.
How long does gluten free meatloaf last?
You’ll want to finish this gluten free meatloaf up from the fridge in 3 to 4 days, if you have any leftover. And if you can’t get to it, there’s the freezer!
Can you freeze gluten free meatloaf?
If you like this recipe, I recommend making more of it and freezing it for another time. Slice it first if you want to portion it out for meal prep. This meatloaf will keep its flavors for 3 months.
How to reheat gluten free meatloaf?
Use the same methods to warm up regular meatloaf. Put your oven at 250F, add the meatloaf to a baking dish and give it a little broth or water. Cover it with foil and heat it for about 25 or 30 minutes.
Watch How To Make Gluten Free Meatloaf (Video)
Gluten Free Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 lbs ground turkey (can substitute ground beef) (90% lean 10% fat )
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium carrots (shredded)
- 1/2 small zucchini (shredded)
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1/2 cup gluten free ketchup (divided)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a rimmed sheet pan with foil or grease a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Press the meatloaf into a loaf pan or form into a traditional loaf shape on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush the top with extra GF ketchup if desired.
- Bake for an hour or until an internal temperature reaches 160F if using ground beef or 165F if using ground turkey.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.