Topping Meatloaf: What Should You Put on a Meatloaf?
Meatloaf is already a delicious meal, but adding a topping to meatloaf can elevate the dish to another level. If you’re looking for a change from your usual meatloaf sauce, there’s no shortage of ways to enhance your meatloaf.
- Brown Gravy: Using brown gravy instead of traditional meatloaf sauce gives the dish a new flavor profile.
- Cheese: Almost everything is better with cheese, and that includes meatloaf. Try melting a few slices of cheddar or mozzarella on your next loaf.
- Bacon: Drape bacon strips over your meatloaf and they’ll crisp up as the loaf bakes while giving it a smoky flavor.
- Mushrooms: Sautéed mushrooms make an excellent topping for meatloaf.
- Onions: Whether sliced or caramelized, onions add flavor and texture to the dish.
- Bell Peppers: Chopped bell peppers can add a slight crunch and attractive color to your meatloaf.
- Garlic: Minced or roasted garlic can pack a flavorful punch.
- Breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs are already included in the meatloaf, but you can also mix some with melted butter and place them on top before baking to give your meatloaf a crunchy topping.